Certaldo

Certaldo Museum of Sacred Art

Certaldo

Certaldo museum

Certaldo accommodations

Certaldo History

Casa del Boccaccio

Certaldo map

The Certaldo Museum of Sacred Art displays works of religious art from the churches of the Certaldo Vicariate. The Museum’s rich and varied collection includes diverse types of objects: paintings, sculptures, silver works, fabrics and vestments. The tour begins from the Large Hall, the windows of which look out onto the town’s walls. Here the oldest paintings from the 13 C to the 16 C are displayed (13 C Madonnas, a Triptych by Ugolino di Nerio, Puccio di Simone’s Polyptych, works by Cenni di Francesco).

Polyptych by Puccio di Simone

Polyptych by Puccio di Simone 1357

Next are three small halls dedicated to silverworks, many of which come from San Lazzaro a Lucardo and were commissioned by the Gianfigliazzi family. The last hall in this section houses the Reliquary-bust of the Blessed Julia made by Paolo Laurentini in 1652-1653. From here we enter the Hall of Paraments (chasubles, humeral veil, chalice veils and a four-piece set of vestments) and then the elegant seat of the Company, where there are 17 C paintings and sculptures, Saint Nicholas of Tolentino and Saint John of San Facondo by a 17 C Sienese sculptor. The tour ends in the Hall of the Crucifix, a wooden work from the 13 C and the Museum’s masterpiece.

Madonna with Child 15 C
from the Church of San Martino in Pastine
Pseudo Ambrogio di Baldese (Lippo D’Andrea)

This panel was the central part of a polyptych which had the saints Martin and Anthony on the lateral panels. Around 1400, Lippo d´Andrea frescoed two chapels in the Church of the Carmine in Florence and used the extreme Gothic style inspired by Starnina and Masolino.

More about other smaller Museums of Chianti

Certaldo

Certaldo museum

Certaldo accommodations

Certaldo History

Casa del Boccaccio

Certaldo map

Certaldo © ammonet InfoTech 2006 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Web hosting, web design, database development by ammonet